Special Education Teacher
Company: Easterseals Serving Chicagoland and Greater Rockfo
Location: Tinley Park
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Description:PROGRAM SUMMARY: Easterseals Academy is a
therapeutic school that provides schooling for children with an
autism spectrum disorder, emotional disability, developmental
delay, or intellectual disability. School districts refer students
to Easterseals Academy where the schools provide an alternative
school placement for these students to help them to achieve
independence. Easterseals Academy has three campuses, located in
Chicago, Machesney Park, and Tinley Park.POSITION LOCATION: This
position is located at the Easterseals Academy - Tinley Park Campus
at 17300 Ozark Avenue, Tinley Park, IL 60477.POSITION SUMMARY: The
primary responsibility of the Special Education Teacher is to
ensure the health, safety, and well-being of each student. The
teacher is accountable for the development, implementation, and
monitoring of all aspects of classroom programming.MAJOR
- Develop weekly lesson plans in alignment with student IEP
- Perform and submit formal assessments at least 10 days prior to
each student's annual review, but not earlier than 30-days
- Develop, in collaboration with team members, appropriate IEP
goals based on assessment results 10 days prior to annual
- Update and provide data-based quarterly progress reports and
- Note in lesson plans, references of informal assessment of
specific students that triggered plan.
- Arrange for and perform activities, materials, and prompting
hierarchies that relate to the IEP goals.
- Mentor and train classroom and 1:1 assistants to anticipate
those activities that they can perform, which support the lesson
- Provide monthly suggestions to the School Administrator/Program
Coordinator on areas of training that would enhance the skills of
teachers and aides.
- Conduct weekly meetings with paraprofessional staff members and
submit documentation to administration.
- Interact with the School Administrator/Program Coordinator and
clinical staff regarding clinical recommendations.
- Observe the performance of classroom staff sufficient to
perform an evaluation and assist administration with annual
- Notify the School Administrator/Program Coordinator of the
onset of unacceptable performance of classroom staff.
- Communicate daily to parents via notebook or phone regarding
the ongoing performance of students.
- Maintain and update all required components to student main
- Participate in at least 2 outside training per school year
directly related to serving students with special needs,
particularly those diagnosed with autism.
- Participate in all scheduled in-house training throughout the
- Participate in student IEP/MDC meetings throughout the school
- Participate in medical case review meetings for students
throughout the school year.
- Conduct at least 2 observations in other classrooms and provide
the administration with documentation of each observation
throughout the school year.
- All other duties as
- Bachelor's Degree in Special Education and Illinois State Type
10 teaching certificate or LBS1 (limited or unlimited) or;
- Bachelor's Degree and an Illinois State teaching certificate in
an area of regular education, and a Special Education endorsement,
letter of approval, or a short-term emergency letter of
- Completion of required clinical hours for teaching
- Experience working with special needs populations is
- Ability to perform all functions necessary to obtain
certification in Professional Crisis Management training (PCM) and
- Ability to perform all functions necessary to obtain full
certification in Professional Crisis Management (Practitioner
- Ability to multi-task in a high-stress environment
- Ability to interact with diverse personalitiesADA: Easterseals
will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the
Americans with Disability Act of 1990. Unless exempted by the
Americans with Disabilities Act, all persons hired for this
position are required to possess the ability to perform the
physical tasks necessary to treat clients, i.e., bending,
floor-sitting, etc., as well as to have the ability to lift up to
50 pounds frequently.#IND123
Keywords: Easterseals Serving Chicagoland and Greater Rockfo, Tinley Park , Special Education Teacher, Education / Teaching , Tinley Park, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!